Monday, February 25, 2013

Quiet, Remembrance

I remember the morning like it was yesterday. I was getting ready for school, walked downstairs and my mom wanted me to come to the living room. I walk in and watched live on TV the second tower getting hit by an airplane. That day at school we all sat and watched the news with grieve stricken faces and sinking hearts. A catastrophe that I will never forget. Today, Cameron and I happened to have the day off together, we finally went to view the 9/11 Memorial. It was beautifully done and we will have to go back when the trees are all bloomed out. There are two pools of water set in the footprints of the towers with cascading water down into what looks like nothingness. The pools are lined by bronze barriers with the names of those who lost their lives inscribed in it. The "Survivor Tree" holds artifacts left for those who passed. It was the only tree that survived, for the most part, through the rubble and was nursed back to health and so dubbed the "Survivor Tree." The new Trade Center is still being built, but it's presence holds a strong shadow over the past. If you get the chance to visit New York, this is one place you can't miss out on and it's free.







No comments:

Post a Comment